Are you considering buying a house in the Ottawa area? While Ottawa is a great city, you might want to consider looking across the river for new houses for sale in Gatineau. Here are ten reasons why:
- Lower housing prices: While Ottawa’s housing market has been on the rise in recent years, Gatineau’s housing market has remained relatively stable. As a result, you can find great deals on houses in Gatineau that would be much more expensive in Ottawa. While specific numbers may vary, according to recent data, the average home price in Ottawa is around $600,000, while in Gatineau, it is around $340,000, making Gatineau homes almost half the price of those in Ottawa. This significant difference in housing prices between the two cities can lead to substantial cost savings for those who choose to buy a house in Gatineau over Ottawa.
- Lower property taxes: Property taxes are generally lower in Gatineau than in Ottawa. The property tax rate in Gatineau is around 0.86% of the property value, while in Ottawa, it is around 1.1%, which means that property taxes in Gatineau are approximately 21% lower than in Ottawa. For instance, if you own a $500,000 home, you could save approximately $1,250 per year in property taxes by living in Gatineau rather than Ottawa. Over the years, these savings can add up to significant amounts, making Gatineau a more financially appealing option for homeowners.
- Affordable living: Overall, the cost of living in Gatineau is lower than in Ottawa. According to recent data, the cost of living index in Gatineau is around 13% lower than in Ottawa, which includes expenses like housing, transportation, food, and entertainment. For example, groceries in Gatineau are around 9% cheaper than in Ottawa, and restaurant prices are around 10% lower. This means you can save money on everything from groceries to entertainment.
- Bilingualism: Gatineau is a bilingual city, which means that you can practice your French language skills while still having access to English-speaking services and amenities.
- Proximity to Ottawa: While Gatineau is a separate city, it is located just across the river from Ottawa. This means that you can easily commute to Ottawa for work or entertainment.
- Beautiful natural surroundings: Gatineau is home to Gatineau Park, a large park with hiking trails, lakes, and other outdoor activities. This can be a great escape from the city.
- Lower crime rate: According to recent crime statistics, the crime rate in Gatineau is approximately 38% lower than in Ottawa. This includes both violent and property crimes, with Gatineau experiencing fewer incidents per capita compared to Ottawa. With a lower crime rate, residents of Gatineau can enjoy a greater sense of safety and security in their homes and communities. This can also lead to a lower incidence of property damage or theft, which can help homeowners to save money on insurance premiums and repairs.
- Cultural diversity: Gatineau is known for its diverse and multicultural community, with a significant portion of the population being of French and Indigenous descent. This diversity is reflected in the city’s vibrant cultural scene, with a range of events and festivals celebrating different cultures and traditions throughout the year. For example, the Canadian Museum of History in Gatineau showcases Indigenous history and culture, while the Festival Outaouais en Fête celebrates Francophone culture through music, dance, and food.
- Growing economy: Gatineau’s economy has been growing in recent years. The city’s technology sector is experiencing significant growth, with companies like Shopify and the Canadian Nuclear Laboratories expanding their operations in the area. Gatineau is also home to the federal government’s Department of National Defence, which provides a range of employment opportunities in the fields of administration, engineering, and logistics which means that there are more job opportunities and a more stable economic environment.
- Great food and drink: Gatineau has a great food and drink scene, with a wide range of restaurants, bars, and cafes to choose from.
In conclusion, while Ottawa is a great city, there are many reasons why you might want to consider buying a house in Gatineau instead. From lower housing prices to a lower cost of living to beautiful natural surroundings, there are many benefits to living in Gatineau.