Your feeding habit is key to sustaining a healthy lifestyle. Your health is a direct outward reflection of your daily intake.
A keto diet (ketogenic diet) refers to a diet with low carbohydrate and high-fat ratio with promising effects against:
• Alzheimer’s disease
It is scientifically supported that a keto diet can help in weight loss and general health improvements.
PUMPKINS AND KETO DIETS
Back to the question on our minds, are pumpkins keto friendly? When it comes to the question on pumpkin being keto friendly, there are various misconceptions. These misconceptions stem directly from difficulties in the identification of pumpkin as a food.
Imagine a winter squash (berry) the size of two human heads in a close relationship with starchy vegetables like potatoes, corns, and peas. Of course, no one would go for these starchy vegetables on a keto diet.
Also considering the number of carbs and calories associated with pumpkin delicacies like the pumpkin pie (48 grams of carbs and 90 calories), it is clear why many people that are on keto diet have a sceptical view on pumpkins. The fact that pumpkin on its own has a substantial level of carbs doesn’t help the case for it.
Nevertheless, these strong arguments should not write pumpkin off the list for a keto diet completely. Relax, you wouldn’t be giving up that orange load of amazing sweetness after reading this article.
Though pumpkin takes quite a beating by its critics on its starchy level, it makes up for all its shortcomings in its low sugar level. With a 6, it scores very low in its glycemic level rating. This alone gives the pumpkin a pass mark since ketogenic diets pride in their ability to reduce and regulate blood sugar.
Add this critical advantage to the following benefits you can get for introducing pumpkin into your keto diet:
1. Pumpkins are a rich source of fiber, which helps keep your body in shape and maintain a healthy weight.
2. With a good source of vitamin A, pumpkin assures you of a great vision, a strong immune system, and a glowing skin.
3. Pumpkins are also very rich in phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are compounds found in certain fruits that help to reduce chronic diseases by bolstering the body’s DNA structures and immune systems.
4. Pumpkins contain antioxidants like carotenoids that help reduce the risk of cancer.
5. As the root of so many recipes, pumpkins are very convenient to add to your keto diet. It doesn’t matter if you are a strict keto diet or a ‘rough’ one.
DELICIOUS PUMPKIN RECIPES:
Pumpkins blends with many ingredients to produce recipes like:
1. Pumpkin cheese muffins.
2. Pumpkin pie.
3. Pumpkin mocha.
4. Pumpkin Pancakes.
5. Pumpkin spice latte.
It is not out of place to get skeptical about adding pumpkins to your keto diet. In fact, words on the ‘street’ would not give it a second hearing.
Nevertheless, looking at the benefits it adds to your dieting and its amazing glycemic level, which defies all norms, I believe it’s safe to say that pumpkins are perfect for a keto diet.