Mass-produced commercial soaps are inexpensive and come in various fragrances and hues. Usually, they have attractive packaging with a narrative of their supposed benefits to entice consumers like you. While the manufacturers exaggerate the pros of their products, they fail to mention that their soaps contain harsh chemicals that can harm your skin.
The increasing cases of skin issues and other health problems resulting in the use of commercial soaps contributed to the rise of the natural bar soap industry. Unlike mass-produced cleansers, natural soaps contain mild and plant-based ingredients that are safe and gentle on the skin. They are commonly handmade and have no synthetic essences, preservatives, as well as colors and fragrances that can irritate.
Best Botanical Soap Ingredients
Depending on its main botanical property, natural bar soap can do more than merely cleanse the skin. Here are some of the most popular plant ingredients for bar soaps and the benefits of each:
- Lavender – is an herb famous for its natural calming, healing, and exfoliating properties.
- Peppermint – is a fragrant plant from the mint family that acts to refresh and address skin irritation and blemishes.
- Eucalyptus – is a medicinal plant that can soothe skin irritation and itching.
- Lemongrass – is an herb that is popular for its fragrance as well as antibacterial and fungicidal properties.
- Cinnamon – is an evergreen plant used in soap because of its stimulating and antibacterial properties.
- Lemon – is a citrus plant that offers the skin a boost of antioxidants and anti-aging properties. It also helps unclog pores and promote fairer complexion.
Tips to Find the Right Natural Bar Soap
There are plenty of natural soaps available in the market, but not all of them are created equal. To find the one that is right for your skin, consider the following tips:
- Check the ingredients
Read the product label and check the ingredients to ensure that the bar cleanser you are buying is genuinely plant-based. Make sure that the soap contains glycerin and botanical components like those mentioned above. Moreover, steer clear of products that contain any of the following:
- Parabens – are preservatives commonly used for personal care items. These toxic elements are associated with cancer, developmental disorders, and other health issues.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) – are used as surfactants to add more foam. SLES and SLS can irritate the eyes, skin, and lungs.
- Triclosan – is a substance used in several commercial soaps for its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recently banned the use of this ingredient on soap products because of its adverse effects.
- Choose the botanicals for your needs
Identify your skin concerns and find a natural soap with the right botanicals to address them. For instance, if you have sunburnt skin, you should do well using a soap made with Aloe Vera because of its moisturizing and healing properties.
- Buy from a reputable supplier
Do a bit of background checking to ensure the reliability of the suppliers you are eyeing. You can also read online reviews to have an accurate idea of the quality of their products and how they treat customers.
From cleansing and disinfecting to moisturizing and healing, plant-based soaps offer countless benefits without hurting the skin. Find the right bar soap that complements your complexion and experience skin-caring advantages that you cannot find in commercial cleansers.