CBD has a calming effect on the human body. Alcohol is a feel-good toxin. When the two of them are mixed together, the result is extraordinary enough to take the beverage industry by storm. Those of you who live in America must be knowing about the trendy CBD-infused cocktails. Well, clubs and restaurants in Los Angeles have become the flag-bearers of such kinds of drinks and they aren’t regretting doing the same. In other words, these drinks are having soothing effects on people and the deadly combination of CBD and alcohol might be the reason behind it.
The popping question is that if and whether mixing CBD and alcohol is a good idea? Currently, there are no definitive studies to prove the same. This is why we will go through the benefits and possible side effects of these two drinks when they are blended together. Let’s get to the bottom of this question.
What exactly should you know about CBD?
Matt at Greenthevote explained CBD is short for cannabidiol, one of the most abundant compounds found in the Cannabis sativa plant. You guessed it right, tetrahydrocannabinol or THC is another compound found in the same plant and yes, it is primarily responsible for producing the ‘high’ in the human brain. However, you do not have to worry about getting stoned after consuming CBD because it only contains less than 0.3% of THC. This means that in no situation can one get high on CBD.
This also allows CBD to be a non-controlled and non-psychoactive substance. CBD has been legalized under the 2018 Farm Bill. However, one should always consult with the state laws before starting their course on CBD. CBD has recently become quite popular in the world due to its miraculous effects on the human body in terms of emotional, mental, and now physical relief. It has quite a therapeutic effect on people suffering from anxiety, depression, inflammation, chronic pains, cancer-related symptoms, and other problems. Check the best cbd oil for anxiety on discovermag.
There is, however, no conclusive research on the same and thus, studies on humans are still infancy. Even so, people all over the world are anecdotally providing the much-needed information about its drastic healing abilities.
The interaction between CBD and alcohol
Before we jump to any conclusions regarding the effects or benefits of alcohol and CBD mix, it needs to be intimated to anyone reading this article that there are no comprehensive studies done on humans to accept or deny the effects of CBD and alcohol interaction. These are based on anecdotal experiences and limited research done on animals.
Coming back to the problem, alcohol is known to slow down brain functions, making the person feel relaxed and happy. This improves his or her social skills as well and they feel better about themselves until the effect stays. However, the effects of an alcoholic person can be quite degrading for the mind and body. It often results in neurodegeneration and impaired cognitive function. Now, this is the time to allow CBD to come into the picture.
As per this study, when one CBD and alcohol together, the former reduces the effects of the latter in the blood, which otherwise might reduce damage to brain cells, liver, and other organs. Even so, it doesn’t reduce the effects of alcohol during the time it is still in the system.
For now, this is what has been understood about the combination of the two. This also means that there are no known side effects of consuming this drink. Nonetheless, the following are a few possible side effects of consuming a higher dosage of CBD. Check on Cannabisherald about dosages.
- Increased sleep or no sleep at all
- Increased appetite
- Brain fog
- Overactivity or no activity
Usually, the side effects subside after a few hours or a day. In case they persist for a long time, consult your medical practitioner.
Are there any benefits to this mixture?
The simple answer is yes, there are certain benefits of consuming this extraordinary mixture. CBD has the potential to decrease the harmful effects of alcohol. Some of them are listed below-
- CBD may lessen cell damage: Excessive and unrestricted consumption of alcohol may lead to harmful damage of the brain and other body cells and organs. With the help of CBD, these cells can be protected. This study done on animals conveys the same.
1. CBD may help with alcohol addiction: As per this study, CBD can successfully reduce alcohol addiction and withdrawal. Another study done on human beings revealed that CBD reduced cigarette addiction by 40%, which implies that it has the ability to curb addictive behaviors.
2. CBD may contribute in reducing blood alcohol levels: More research is required on this contention but it has been observed that CBD helps in reducing blood alcohol levels which otherwise correlates with a loss of cognitive functions.
3. CBD may help with a hangover: CBD might not be effective in reducing the intoxication of alcohol but it can certainly help with the deadly hangover induced by alcohol consumption. It is known to treat hangover symptoms, such as headaches, dizziness, and nausea. It has neuroprotective and antioxidant traits which can miraculously help in dealing with hangovers.
4. CBD soothes mind and body: There is no doubt about CBD’s ability to calming down the mind and body. It heals the anxious behavior in a person, inflammation, depression, and other related problems. The combination of alcohol and CBD enhances the soothing effects on the body with CBD helping in reducing the alcohol levels in the blood. Also, being a zero ‘high’ inducing compound, it doesn’t enhance the high. In fact, it helps in enhancing the feel-good effect of alcohol.
Even though the research on the effects and benefits of blending alcohol and CBD are limited, the combination of the same is being served as ‘healthy drinks’ in many restaurants and bars across America. However, it is still recommended to start slowly with this combination and know your limits. It is equally important to consume the combination responsibly. In case of any problems, consult your medical practitioner.
Photo by alleksana from Pexels